Photos courtesy of Christina
Order a copy of Hugh Morshead's new book
Killusty Farm Horse Trials - June
Click here to find out your
to our Elite Level Sponsors:
HENRY EQUESTRIAN INSURANCE
LONDON TRADING POST
The Killusty Farm Horse Trial is pure athletic competition, coupled with the historic and often magical partnership of man/woman and horse. It takes no knowledge of horses or the intricacies of the competition to enjoy and appreciate it. A Horse Trial consists of the testing of the three disciplines of equestrian sport: Dressage, Cross-Country and Stadium Jumping - all in one day!
Judging of the Dressage Test is basically an evaluation of perfection of movement, obedience to the rider and rapport between horse and rider. Anyone can judge these characteristics, and the spectator's opinion often mirrors that of the judges.
The Cross-Country Test is the heart of the sport and is quite straightforward - the horse and rider either jump the obstacle cleanly or they incur faults. Horses galloping at speed over natural obstacles, virtually flying over ditches, leaping up and down banks and dropping into water, provide examples of athletic ability, and trust between man and animal that can be seen in no other sporting event.
The Jumping Test in a stadium arena is again simply a matter of jumping the obstacles cleanly. A single rail knocked down can make the difference between winning and finishing far down in the placings.
What makes Horse Trials/ Eventing so different…?
- One of only a few sports in the world where men and women compete on equal terms
- One of only three sports where men and women compete on equal terms at the Olympics (sailing
- - & mixed badminton are the other two)
- The genuine amateur can compete against World and Olympic Champions
- All round test of horsemanship
- Opportunities for all ages and abilities -
appeals to the young and old alike
- Excellent spectator sport - spectators can be right where the action is!